Before he became a vicar, Geoffrey Bennett was the manager of The National Westminster Bank in Cleator Moor, this was prior to moving to their Maryport branch. However, before his move to Cumbria he worked as a bank clerk in Manchester, where in 1926 he was introduced to L.S. Lowry by Lowry's cousin Grace.
Lowry and The Reverend Bennett remained friends for 50 years and when he and his wife moved to Cumbria Lowry kept in touch and often visited them. During these visits the two men would produce caricatures for the amusement of the vicar's son.
Bennett was an accomplished artist and both encouraged the work of each other.
Over the years he acquired a number of paintings by Lowry including Market Place - Cleator Moor, The National Westminster Bank - Cleator Moor and Silloth Gasometer.
When Lowry died in 1976 aged 88, the Reverend Bennett conducted the funeral service at Manchester's Southern Cemetery.
When Geoffrey died he left his impressive collection of art works including his West Cumbrian Lowry's to The Dean and Chapter of Carlisle Catheral. They were later sold to raise funds to support the maintenance of the building.